Online and Off-Campus Students
Setting Up Your Library Account
In order to borrow or request books or audiovisual materials, you will need to set up a Library Account.
- Your MRC Student Photo ID card OR an MRC Library Card is needed to access library resources. An MRC Student ID card is issued to you when you register.
- If you did not receive a Mesabi Range College student ID, contact MRC Student Services at (218) 749-7750.
- When you are ready to activate your Library Account, please contact the MRC Librarian at (218)749-7778 or the Library Assistant at (218) 749-7764.
- The MRC Library will assign a Library Account Barcode to you and this sticker is to be applied to your Student Photo ID card. This now serves as your library card. If you did not receive a Student ID card, then an MRC Library card will be sent to you with your Library Account Barcode sticker attached.
- You will need either your Student ID or your MRC Library card to check out materials from the MRC Library, to use MRC Library Reserves, to order books and magazine articles via our InterLibrary Loan service, and to access MRC Online Databases for research.
- Your Library Account number is 14 digits and starts with “20212…..”. Your Library Password is your last name. Remember: the Library barcode number and password are different from your MRC Computer Network ID and password.
How to Find Books and AudioVisual Materials
You can find books and AV resources in Mesabi’s collection or you can search for Library resources in any or all MnPALS libraries. Go to the Library Web page at www.mesabirange.edu/academics/library and use MnPALS, the Library's catalog. You may search for resources by author, title, subject or keyword. You can leave the search set to just materials in the MRC Library or you can select any or all MnPALS libraries in your search.
To check out, renew or request library books, you will need to use your 14-digit Library barcode number and password. Remember: Your Library password is your last name, unless you have changed it to something else.
How to Request Library Resources via InterLibrary Loan (ILL)
To request a book you have found in the MnPals catalog, simply click on the "login" link under the "Request Item" tab. You will be asked to “Login” using your Library Barcode and your Password. Once logged in, then again click on the "request" link and complete the ILL Request Form. You will see a Confirmation screen when you have successfully entered your ILL request. You may also use the online ILL Request Form to request a book. Click here for more detailed information on our Interlibrary Loan Service and to access the online ILL forms for resources not found in MnPALS.
How to Get Magazine, Journal and Newspaper Articles
To find Magazine, Journal, and Newspaper Articles, you will need to search any of the online information databases that the Mesabi Range College Library subscribes to. Keep in mind that these databases are accessible only to library patrons with a valid library account, barcode and password. Most articles are available in full text and can be printed. Some articles found in ESCO are not available in full text but can be requested electronically. Those articles are delivered to you via email.
Here are some of the MRC Library online research databases. Find these and other database links on the Library webpage under Research Tools / research databases. You will be prompted for your Library Account Barcode and your Library Password when you first access a database.
- EBSCO Host
- InfoTrac Professional
- American Indian History
- Opposing Viewpoints
Online Library Assignments
Some instructors require their Online students to complete a Library Instruction session. If your instructor has assigned you to do a Library Instruction session, contact the Librarian via email at L.Chilcote@mesabirange.edu. She will reply with the appropriate assignment for your course. Print out all the required Library Assignment pages and follow the directions for completing the exercise.
Questions?? Need assistance?? Contact Laurel Chilcote, Mesabi Range College Librarian. Call (218) 749-7778 or e-mail L.Chilcote@mesabirange.edu