Student Technology Resources
Mesabi Range Student Email
Microsoft Office for Education (O365) provides students, faculty and staff with free email, sites, online document editing and storage, IM (Instant Messaging), and web conferencing through Lync. (Email is the official source of communication for Mesabi Range College.)
Easy steps to start using your new campus email:
Step 1: Activate your StarID by clicking the button below and following the instructions (please remember your StarID and password as you will use it for your campus email and eServices). Follow the link for a step-by-step guide to activating your StarID: Activation Guide
Step 2: Wait five minutes for your StarID to process and then select the button below to login to your Microsoft Office 365 email.
Starting December 27, 2016, MRC students will login to email/O365 differently.
Enter your NEW O365 Login: YourStarID@go.mnscu.edu
Step 3: Use your new StarID to access your new O365 Email -
O365 Move – We will be moving our email from the Mesabi Range O365 cloud to the MN State System Office cloud, referred to as the MN State O365 Single Tenant.
1. How do I log in to my new email? Your email address will remain the same, only logging into your email will change (note the highlighted address to use).
Students: your StarID@go.mnscu.edu, with your StarID password
2. What is my email address? Has it changed or is it the same?
Students: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
3. If you had an MRC email address before January 1, 2017, your email address will not change.
All future student email addresses will follow the email@example.com format.
Mobile Device Setup:
Configuring Outlook for iOS (recommended)
Office 2016 Setup:
Office Training Center
See what's new: Office 2016
Learn by app or service
Learn by scenario
Office 365 scenario-based training provides inspirational tutorials to show you how you and your team can transform the way you work. We’ll show you how to save your files to the cloud, so you can access them from anywhere, on almost any device. We’ll also demonstrate how you can use Office 365 to work together as a team to share files and co-edit documents stored in the cloud.
See what's new: Office 2016
Go to the Minnesota STATE Help Desk link at https://servicedesk.mnscu.edu/
Virginia Campus Help
Dan Kugel - 218-780-8063 - firstname.lastname@example.org
Tom Pratt - 218-780-4829 - email@example.com
Shelly McCauley Jugovich - 218-748-2416 - firstname.lastname@example.org
Eveleth Campus Help
Nick Miller - 218-404-4222- email@example.com
D2L (Online Course Information) Resources:
Announcements:D2L Brightspace Terminology Changes Effective August 6, 2016 --D2L Brightspace has changed the terminology for some of its tools and features.
FAQ for Students (includes screenshots)
Students FAQ: What’s New for Students 10.6.0 and 10.6.1? https://d2l.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1704
Additional FAQ: https://documentation.desire2learn.com/en/Learning%20Environment
Internet Explorer 11 and STAR ID Site Issue - Please be aware that the Change Password link on the STAR ID site https://starid.mnscu.edu is not compatible with IE 11. The link will act like you have changed your password, but in fact, it will not have been changed. Please use either an alternative browser such as Firefox, or use the "Forgot Password" link.
How to login to your online course:
- Go to: https://mr.ims.mnscu.edu/
- Login: use your StarID user name and password (Activate using the information above and then use your StarID and password for your campus email, eservices and more!
- If you are unable to log in or need help, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 218-780-4829!
Q3. I forgot my StarID and/or password?
Go to: Forgot StarID and/or password and you will be able to retrieve the information.
Q4. I need help! Email email@example.com
Online software training, support and integration resources to simplify technology use campus-wide. We have Atomic Learning tutorials available for you to view - http://www.atomiclearning.com/highed. Call for a username and password today at 218-780-4829!
Turinitin is a comprehensive cloud-based solution that helps students learn by facilitating personalized feedback.
TurnitIn (Plagiarism Prevention)
Common Downloadable Plug-ins:
- Adobe Reader - This allows you to read pdf (portable document format) files.
Adobe Flash Player
- Windows Media Player
- Microsoft Office Viewers
- Visual Studio: http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9873185-56.html
- OpenOffice: Freeware http://www.openoffice.org/
- Visit Dell Today: www.DELL.COM/MESABI.
Spyware Removal Tools
You can download free Spyware Removal Tools for personal use from the following website's:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ Download Ad-Aware Free
http://www.safer-networking.org/ Download SpyBot Search and Destroy 1.5.2
Please note the above links take you to third-party software vendors not associated with Mesabi Range College. The software is not supported by the MRC IT staff, please install at your own discretion.
- Username: firstname.lastname followed by the last 3 digits of your tech id. (Example: John Smith, Tech ID 01010101 user name would be john.smith101)
- Password: Your birthdate in the following format: YYYYMMDD (call 218-780-3443 or 218-780-4829 if you have problems).
- How to forward your campus gmail to a different email client (yahoo, hotmail, etc.) http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=10957
- What is my student email address: firstname.lastname(last three digits of your techid)@students.mr.mnscu.edu (firstname.lastname@example.org)