Frequently Asked Questions


Will I be able to finish my courses on my phone?

You may be able to use your phone for some things, but most likely you will encounter issues. Contact your instructor(s) and let them know your situation.

What do I do if I don’t have a computer and/or Wi-Fi?

Contact your instructor(s) to let them know your situation.

What happens if I live out of state and my courses are “hands on”.

It depends on the course. Contact your instructor and they will give you instructions on their alternative learning format.

Will tutoring be available online?

Yes, we have tutoring sessions via zoom with Holly. Her schedule is listed here. Directions to access zoom tutoring is found here. If you want to schedule an individual meeting, contact Holly at or Steve at

Will graduation be cancelled?

Unfortunately, the graduation ceremony scheduled for May 13, 2020 has been cancelled. We will consider options to honor students’ accomplishments in the future.

Will I be able to get my housing and meal plan money back if I leave housing?

The Minnesota State System Office is working on policy and procedure on refunds for students who paid for housing and food for the semester. We will be in contact with you regarding this matter.

How do I get my personal belongings back from housing?

Our first priority has been the safety of our students, staff, and faculty. Second is transitioning to the new alternative learning format that will begin March 30. With the threat of the spread of the Corona virus at its peak, we are not advising students to return to campus to get their things. We have locked all apartments and all rooms to secure students’ belongings. We will consider many options in how we will advise students to get their things as soon as it is safe.

Can I leave my stuff in housing until Fall semester 2020?

We will consider many options when deciding what to do about the items left by students that will return in Fall 2020. We will be in contact with you regarding this matter.

What if I need to take the Accuplacer test?

At this time, we can still allow appointments for testing (one at a time). Call Cindy Altobelli to schedule an appointment. 218-749-7727 or

Can my books be scanned and put online?

Unfortunately, there are copyright laws prohibiting us from doing that. However, our staff and faculty may have alternative options for you. Let the Residential Life Director or your advisor know if you left your books in housing. Additionally, let your instructor know if you need additional accommodations.

Where can I go for mental health services?

Our counselors are available to talk on the phone or to meet with on campus.

Kelly Bakk: SSS/Trio Counselor – 218-749-7765

Sabrina Skeens: Institutional Counselor – 218-749-7714

Call 866-342-6892 for the United Healthcare EMOTIONAL SUPPORT HELP LINE for all students. It will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for as long as necessary.

CDC on Stress and Coping:

All other Student Services questions can be answered by your advisor. Click here for a list of Student Services Staff emails.