International Student

Thank you very much for your interest in Mesabi Range College. Mesabi Range College is a two year community/technical college. We offer several technical programs and a two year liberal arts degree. The AA Degree is comparable to the first two years you would earn at a four year university. Our two year liberal arts degree could transfer into most four year universities in the United States.

Some students attend a four year university when they graduate from high school. Others prefer to attend a community college for a year or two and then transfer to a four year university to finish their degree. The advantages to a two year college are numerous. It is very affordable, class sizes are smaller and the services to students are outstanding.

Also, many international students feel a little overwhelmed when they arrive in the United States. The 2 campuses of Mesabi Range College are fairly small and have a student population of about 1500 students. Because we are smaller we offer more one-on-one relationships with our students, our student to teacher ratio is smaller than universities and we have an international student advisor that works specifically with our international student population.

Housing must be arranged before arriving. On campus housing fills quickly, so be sure to secure an apartment with a $375 deposit early. We suggest 3 to 6 months before arrival. Visit the link to learn more about our housing and contract -- Housing Application

If you have any questions, please feel free to call me at 1-800-657-3860 or e-mail me at Thank you again for your interest in Mesabi Range College. We would be very excited to work with you to bring you to Mesabi Range to pursue your college degree.

Thank You,
Carrie Hejda
Enrollment Services & Public Information

Application Information and Procedures

Applications must be received by May 1st for Fall Semester.

Please read carefully and completely. Complete the following steps in order to apply for admission to Mesabi Range College.

1. College Application - Click Here

  • *Pay $20 application fee
  • A transcript of grades should be sent from your high school. You must have graduated from the equivalent of a United States high school and your transcript should note this. It is most important that the transcript be translated to English.
  • English proficiency is required and documentation supporting your proficiency is necessary in order for you to be accepted. Proficiency in the English language cannot be over-emphasized, as your ability to follow class instruction and your stay in this country are largely dependent on this. Acceptable forms of English proficiency:
    • TOEFL ( Test of English as a Foreign Language ) score of 500 or more (paper) or 173 or more (computer) or 61 or more (Internet based).
    • Michigan Test score of 75 or more
    • STEP (Society for Testing English Proficiency): a minimum score of Pre-1 or better is required. Prospective students applying from abroad must submit an official STEP score report to the college. The test must have been taken within two years immediately preceding the requested quarter of admission
    • ESL Center (such as Hamline University) recommendation: range of 17-20
    • ESL program at the University of Minnesota recommendation: "exempt from further ESL- ready for full-time academic load"
    • Official High School letter stating level of English proficiency

2. You will be required to submit a detailed Financial Certificate Please Note: You should not rely upon financial aid from the college or employment in the United States as a source of income. You need to have proof of sufficient funds to cover all costs for the entire academic year before Mesabi Range will send you the I-20 form.

Estimated Expenses For A Full Academic Year for Mesabi Range College

(Rates are based on 2018-2019 costs. Rates are subject to change without notice.)

  • Tuition (30 credits/ year) $222.02/credit) - $6,660.60
  • Room/Board - $6,932.00
  • Books - $1,000.00
  • Transportation - $3,600.00
  • Personal - $900.00
  • Sevis Fee - $350.00 (
  • TOTAL ------- $19,293.60

3. Once the applicant has been accepted Mesabi Range will generate an I-20 form and send it to the student. Please Note: I-20 forms cannot be issued until all admission requirements are met and it is determined that an applicant can be accepted.

4. If you move to a different residence while you are attending Mesabi Range, you must bring your new address to Enrollment Services so it can be updated in SEVIS.

5. Visit and complete the I-901 form and pay your $350.00 sevis fee.

This admissions procedure can be a time consuming process, so you should apply well in advance of Fall semester. Not only must you allow Mesabi Range College adequate processing time for your application, but you should also consider the time required for your visa processing before you may leave your country. If you are presently in the U.S., you must allow time in sending home for official transcripts and the signing of your Financial Certificate.

6. Transfer Form

7. Advisor, Carrie Hejda, is assigned to all international students to assist them. She can be contacted at 218-749-0313 or Group or individual sessions for assessment and registration are provided before each semester. An on-line orientation is required for all students to prepare students for a successful college experience.

8. Health Insurance Requirements.

All international students are required to purchase the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities international student accident and illness insurance plan (approximate cost of $1,269 per year) except those students whose sponsoring agency or government certifies that the student is covered under a plan provided by the sponsoring agency or government. Go to to “Find My School’s Plan”, search for Mesabi Range College and select the “International Student Enrollment Form” to sign up for insurance.

9. Immunization Requirements

Before you are admitted, you must submit the required Immunization form. All students born after 1956 are required by Minnesota Law to provide proof that they have been vaccinated against diphtheria, tetanus, measles, mumps, and rubella.

10. Housing – Contact Resident Life Director at 218-749-7773 for information on student housing.

11. Advanced Preparation Prior to Entry - Careful planning and preparation by students and exchange visitors can ensure that the delay based established procedure is minimal. If you are a non-immigrant student or exchange visitor, here are some things you should do:

  • Before leaving your country, confirm that your passport and nonimmigrant visa are still valid for entry into the United States. The passport should be valid for at least six months beyond the date of your expected stay.
  • Check to see that your visa accurately reflects your correct visa classification.
  • If the visa states the name of the institution you will attend or identifies the exchange program in which you are participating, verify that this information is accurate as well. If your review indicates any discrepancies or potential problems, visit the U.S. Embassy or Consulate to obtain a new visa.
  • Students and exchange visitors entering the United States for the first time under their respective nonimmigrant visa classification may only be admitted up to 30-days prior to the program start date.
  • When you receive your U.S. nonimmigrant visa at the Embassy or Consulate in your country, the consular officer will seal your immigration documents in an envelope and attach it to your passport. You should not open this envelope! The Customs and Border Protection Officer at the U.S. port–of-entry will open the envelope.
  • When you travel, you should carry some specific documents on your person. Do not check them in your baggage! If your baggage is lost or delayed, you will not be able to show the documents to the Customs and Border Protection Officer and, as a result, may not be able to enter the United States.

12. Documents you should carry on your person:

  • Passport (including attached envelope of immigration documents) with nonimmigrant visa
  • SEVIS Form I-20AB, I-20MN, or DS-2019
  • Evidence of financial resources, in addition, it is recommended that you also carry the following documents: evidence of Student/Exchange Visitor status (recent tuition receipts, transcripts), name and contact information for Designated School Official (DSO) or Responsible Officer (RO) at your intended school or program and a writing instrument (pen).

Additional Resources:

Student Visa Overview