If you are unsure which campus, see our program page.
*IRE Students - Please select the Virginia campus student option if there is no option under Engineering student
If there are no time slots available, please contact email@example.com to register.
Notice: Placement Testing & Registration Sessions have been postponed until further notice.
*FAFSA help available one hour prior to placement test/registration appointment.
PLACEMENT TEST INFORMATION
Transfer students who plan to transfer credits from another college may be exempt from taking the placement test. Students that are transferring credits from a college that is not part of the Minnesota State system need to send an official copy of their college transcript. To register, please make an appointment to meet with an MRC academic advisor by calling 218-749-7750.
New students who are registering for seven or more college credits or plan to enroll in an English or math course are required to take the Accuplacer placement test unless you qualify for one of the exemptions below. The test does NOT determine acceptance, but it is used for course placement. The placement test can be taken at any Minnesota community college or proctored by your high school counselor if you are an out-of-state student. The test is NOT timed, so you may pace yourself. On average, students take 90 minutes to complete the assessments (reading and math). Students must have a picture ID to take the placement test.
PLACEMENT TEST EXEMPTIONS
You are exempt from all assessment requirements if you:
- Have a bachelor's degree or higher, or
- Have completed the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum
You are exempt from the math assessment requirement if you:
- Have math transfer credits that satisfy the Minnesota State Goal Area 4: Mathematical/Logical Reasoning requirement, or
- Have an ACT math score of 22 or higher within the past five years
- Have an SAT math score of 530 or higher within the past five years
- Have an MCA math score of 1158 or higher within the past five years
- Have an SAT math score of 520-529 (within the past five years), ACT math score of 20-21 (within the past five years) or NG Accuplacer Advanced Algebra and Functions score of 236-249 (within the past two years) and you have graduated from high school within the past ten years and have a cumulative high school GPA of 2.7 or higher.*
You are exempt from the reading/writing assessment requirement if you:
- Have reading/writing transfer credits that satisfy the Minnesota State Goal Area 1 Communications requirement, or
- Have an ACT reading score of 21 or higher or English score of 18 or higher within the past five years
- Have an SAT reading score of 480 or higher or a writing score of 480 or higher within the past five years
- Have an SAT reading score of 400-479, an SAT English score of 440-479, an ACT reading score of 19-20, an ACT English score of 16-17, or a NG Accuplacer Reading score of 236-249 within the past five years and you have graduated from high school within the past ten years and have a cumulative high school GPA of 2.5 or higher.*
*If you feel you qualify, we encourage you to discuss this further with your Mesabi Range College Advisor.
Note: Mesabi Range College cannot use MCA scores for writing placements.
For more information about course placement, please visit the Assessment page https://www.mesabirange.edu/college-services/asses...