What is Accuplacer placement testing?
The Accuplacer test is an assessment in reading comprehension and math that colleges use to determine how your skill levels meet course prerequisites to ensure your success in college. Students and their advisors use the test results to select or recommend appropriate courses and help assure your success at Mesabi Range College. To help you save time and money, we strongly suggest you prepare prior to taking any placement test.
Who needs to take the Accuplacer?
If you are a new applicant to Mesabi Range College, you must complete the Accuplacer unless you meet one of the exemptions listed below. Some technical programs do not require an Accuplacer score. Please contact admissions on the Eveleth campus for further information (218)744-7506.
You are exempt from all assessment requirements if you:
- Have a bachelor's degree or higher, or
- Have completed the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum
You are exempt from the math assessment requirement if you:
- Have math transfer credits that satisfy the Minnesota State Goal Area 4: Mathematical/Logical Reasoning requirement, or
- Have an ACT math score of 22 or higher within the past five years
- Have an SAT math score of 530 or higher within the past five years
- Have an MCA math score of 1158 or higher within the past five years
- Have an SAT math score of 520-529 (within the past five years), ACT math score of 20-21 (within the past five years) or NG Accuplacer Advanced Algebra and Functions score of 236-249 (within the past two years) and you have graduated from high school within the past ten years and have a cumulative high school GPA of 2.7 or higher.*
You are exempt from the reading/writing assessment requirement if you:
- Have reading/writing transfer credits that satisfy the Minnesota State Goal Area 1 Communications requirement, or
- Have an ACT reading score of 21 or higher or English score of 18 or higher within the past five years
- Have an SAT reading score of 480 or higher or a writing score of 480 or higher within the past five years
- Have an SAT reading score of 400-479, an SAT English score of 440-479, an ACT reading score of 19-20, an ACT English score of 16-17, or a NG Accuplacer Reading score of 236-249 within the past five years and you have graduated from high school within the past ten years and have a cumulative high school GPA of 2.5 or higher.*
*If you feel you qualify, we encourage you to discuss this further with your Mesabi Range College Advisor.
Note: Mesabi Range College cannot use MCA scores for writing placements.
Preparing for Accuplacer
The fee Accuplacer Study app gives you access to Accuplacer practice materials anytime, anywhere. Choose Next-Generation Practice Tests when prompted. The app includes sample questions and explanations for both correct and incorrect answers. Explore practice questions and get feedback on the skills you need to focus on the most.
The College Board website offers the following test resources to help students prepare for the Accuplacer:
Preparation: Next Generation Accuplacer Sample Questions
- Reading Sample Questions
- Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics Sample Questions
- Advanced Algebra and Functions Sample Questions
Another test preparation resource you may find useful:
Union Test Prep: https://uniontestprep.com/accuplacer-test
Things to know
- A photo ID is required - you cannot test without one
- Tests are not timed
- Testing takes approximately two hours
- Personal calculators cannot be used, but Accuplacer provides the option of a digital calculator for questions that require their us
- Testing sites provide scratch paper and pens/pencils
- Cell phones must be turned off and stored in a backpack, purse, jacket, etc.
- Children are not allowed in the testing room and may not be left unattended on campus or outside the testing site
- Score results are available immediately after testing is complete
Students who may need accommodations for placement tests because of a disability should contact the MRC Disability Services Office for assistance at:
Eveleth - Matt Jarva 218-744-7471
Virginia - Kevin Langdon 218-749-7791